Field Report - 14th April 2006 - Matilda House and Sungei Punggol
Date : 14th April 2006
Location : Matilda House and Sungei Punggol
How to get there :
1. Take MRT using NE line and alight at Punggol MRT station OR
2. Take Bus 3, 34, 43, 62, 83, 85 or 136 and alight at Punggol Bus Interchange
Other Information :
Historical Information
Location using Streetdirectory.com
After alighting from Bus 83 at Punggol Bus Interchange, take a few steps towards the Punggol MRT station direction and the Matilda House should be in sight.
Try to take the main road to get to the Matilda House as the grass field (a shorter path) that is next to the Punggol MRT station will have many puddles of water after the rain. Even without the rain, the grass field is actually on a higher ground hence will need to go down a slope in order to get over to the other side where Matilda House is.
The red muddy ground has many pot-holes hence forming big puddles of water after the rain which can be used to do some reflection shots.

The whole place around Matilda House was surrounded by wet sand and soft red mud which makes accessibility an issue. What is worse is that there is construction going on and those tractors track just make it harder to move around. So instead of walking straight over, I need to do a detour in order to get to the Matilda House. As I walk around by the other way, I saw some footprints made by the "local residents", the stray dogs, which prompted me to be more careful.

As I walk close to my destination, so do the presence of the "local residents", a total of 3 to be exact. As I approach them closer, one of the dogs started to bark. A tells sign that he is not happy with my presence. So, I took a few steps back in order not to further provoke them. To my surprise, 2 more reinforcements came. Now, there are a total of 5 stray dogs. I back off slowly until they appear more calm and the barking stop.

I guess I don't have the luxury of time to set up tripod to do my IR shot and also to explore more of the Matilda House since the "local residents" are around, so I took a few snapshots of the house at different view angle.





I have decided to head to my next location which is at Sungei Punggol. Getting out to the main road from Matilda House is also a tricky issue as it is also located on a higher ground. So I need to go down a slope in order to get to the main road.
As I get to the pavement, I am really relieved to be able to step onto some firm ground again as the red muddy ground and wet sand really feels like quicksand and gets your shoes stuck and cakes it with mud.

My advice is to avoid wearing saddles if you wish to explore the Matilda House during the wet seasons. It will be best if can wear those durable army boots to protect your legs and also try to wear jeans instead of shorts as the undergrowth plants may have thorns, so be more careful.
A few more steps further down, you will see an LRT station that have yet to be open. In fact, this whole loop of LRT stations is still not in operation yet because there is no usage demand.

After crossing the road (underneath the LRT track), the next location is right next to the main road. A stone/tar road provide easy access and firm ground to walk on.

Along the sides of the beaten path are fields of lallang grass and Casuarina trees.

The Casuarina trees found here really grew beautifully and with many shapes and sizes.

The winding stone/tar path ends with Sungei Punggol at sight and you can walk on the fine sand and green grasses that are found on this side of the river. I stop down to take a couple of shoots of the surrounding area, the only man-made structure found here are a side of a broken down fence and the canal.




Not much Architecture structure can be seen within sight except maybe after a long walk towards the Punggol End Jetty then we can see those refineries along the Malaysia coast.

The sand here is drier as compare to those found at the Matilda House. One can use the advantage of the soft sand to leave some footprints behind and use for Abstract/Still life shots.

The main thing that can be used as IR subjects here is the Casuarina trees, the blue sky and white clouds.


Besides just the trees, quite an interesting bit of Flora and Fauna subject can be found here. As I am no macro expert, I don't really know where to look for subject so I can't really comment of the Macro Subject potential. But for nature lovers, a zoom lens is a must here as there is quite a fair bit of birds that can be found here. But do remember to wear jeans and cover shoes at this location as the undergrowth here have seeds with thorns and clinging hooks which can prick you if you are not wearing long pants or jeans for protection.




After exploring, I have decided to do a few IR shoots using the trees, white clouds and sky. Here are a few shots to share with the rest.





Abstract/Still Life : 6/10
Landscape and Cityscape : 7/10
Portrait and Poses : Not Really Applicable, but can use the nature surrounding background for model or wedding shoot.
Reportage/Sports : Not Really Applicable, but can see people learning wake-boarding on Sungei Punggol
Macro/Close-up : 7/10
World of Nature : 8/10 (Recommended)
Overall Conclusion:
Matilda House alone will be a very good IR Subject, but that alone will not be able to cover a half day shooting session. Other proposed IR subjects will be the not-yet-operational LRT stations and maybe a walk down to Sungei Punggol for some nature IR shots using the trees and tall grasses as subjects.
This place is a must for natural lovers and a good place to find birds. The flora collection is quite interesting and maybe should be able to find some good Macro subjects. The overall nature surrounding is really beautiful which can be use as background for wedding and model shoot.
There is another field that is just opposite the Matilda House and also some Architectural structure further down at another LRT station. I thought going for another round of field Recce and Survey and complete it with a trip to Punggol Beach and Punggol End Jetty.
Location : Matilda House and Sungei Punggol
How to get there :
1. Take MRT using NE line and alight at Punggol MRT station OR
2. Take Bus 3, 34, 43, 62, 83, 85 or 136 and alight at Punggol Bus Interchange
Other Information :
Historical Information
Location using Streetdirectory.com
After alighting from Bus 83 at Punggol Bus Interchange, take a few steps towards the Punggol MRT station direction and the Matilda House should be in sight.
Try to take the main road to get to the Matilda House as the grass field (a shorter path) that is next to the Punggol MRT station will have many puddles of water after the rain. Even without the rain, the grass field is actually on a higher ground hence will need to go down a slope in order to get over to the other side where Matilda House is.
The red muddy ground has many pot-holes hence forming big puddles of water after the rain which can be used to do some reflection shots.

The whole place around Matilda House was surrounded by wet sand and soft red mud which makes accessibility an issue. What is worse is that there is construction going on and those tractors track just make it harder to move around. So instead of walking straight over, I need to do a detour in order to get to the Matilda House. As I walk around by the other way, I saw some footprints made by the "local residents", the stray dogs, which prompted me to be more careful.

As I walk close to my destination, so do the presence of the "local residents", a total of 3 to be exact. As I approach them closer, one of the dogs started to bark. A tells sign that he is not happy with my presence. So, I took a few steps back in order not to further provoke them. To my surprise, 2 more reinforcements came. Now, there are a total of 5 stray dogs. I back off slowly until they appear more calm and the barking stop.

I guess I don't have the luxury of time to set up tripod to do my IR shot and also to explore more of the Matilda House since the "local residents" are around, so I took a few snapshots of the house at different view angle.





I have decided to head to my next location which is at Sungei Punggol. Getting out to the main road from Matilda House is also a tricky issue as it is also located on a higher ground. So I need to go down a slope in order to get to the main road.
As I get to the pavement, I am really relieved to be able to step onto some firm ground again as the red muddy ground and wet sand really feels like quicksand and gets your shoes stuck and cakes it with mud.

My advice is to avoid wearing saddles if you wish to explore the Matilda House during the wet seasons. It will be best if can wear those durable army boots to protect your legs and also try to wear jeans instead of shorts as the undergrowth plants may have thorns, so be more careful.
A few more steps further down, you will see an LRT station that have yet to be open. In fact, this whole loop of LRT stations is still not in operation yet because there is no usage demand.

After crossing the road (underneath the LRT track), the next location is right next to the main road. A stone/tar road provide easy access and firm ground to walk on.

Along the sides of the beaten path are fields of lallang grass and Casuarina trees.

The Casuarina trees found here really grew beautifully and with many shapes and sizes.

The winding stone/tar path ends with Sungei Punggol at sight and you can walk on the fine sand and green grasses that are found on this side of the river. I stop down to take a couple of shoots of the surrounding area, the only man-made structure found here are a side of a broken down fence and the canal.




Not much Architecture structure can be seen within sight except maybe after a long walk towards the Punggol End Jetty then we can see those refineries along the Malaysia coast.

The sand here is drier as compare to those found at the Matilda House. One can use the advantage of the soft sand to leave some footprints behind and use for Abstract/Still life shots.

The main thing that can be used as IR subjects here is the Casuarina trees, the blue sky and white clouds.


Besides just the trees, quite an interesting bit of Flora and Fauna subject can be found here. As I am no macro expert, I don't really know where to look for subject so I can't really comment of the Macro Subject potential. But for nature lovers, a zoom lens is a must here as there is quite a fair bit of birds that can be found here. But do remember to wear jeans and cover shoes at this location as the undergrowth here have seeds with thorns and clinging hooks which can prick you if you are not wearing long pants or jeans for protection.




After exploring, I have decided to do a few IR shoots using the trees, white clouds and sky. Here are a few shots to share with the rest.





Abstract/Still Life : 6/10
Landscape and Cityscape : 7/10
Portrait and Poses : Not Really Applicable, but can use the nature surrounding background for model or wedding shoot.
Reportage/Sports : Not Really Applicable, but can see people learning wake-boarding on Sungei Punggol
Macro/Close-up : 7/10
World of Nature : 8/10 (Recommended)
Overall Conclusion:
Matilda House alone will be a very good IR Subject, but that alone will not be able to cover a half day shooting session. Other proposed IR subjects will be the not-yet-operational LRT stations and maybe a walk down to Sungei Punggol for some nature IR shots using the trees and tall grasses as subjects.
This place is a must for natural lovers and a good place to find birds. The flora collection is quite interesting and maybe should be able to find some good Macro subjects. The overall nature surrounding is really beautiful which can be use as background for wedding and model shoot.
There is another field that is just opposite the Matilda House and also some Architectural structure further down at another LRT station. I thought going for another round of field Recce and Survey and complete it with a trip to Punggol Beach and Punggol End Jetty.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home